Friday, December 14, 2012

Letters - Dear Alice, I'll be a better boy now, Yours in love, Leon



Dear Reader,
      The next scores or so of posts will be not my own writings, but correspondences of my Great-Grandfather Leon Gould. This letter is to his cousin, Alice, whom he later married! Great-Grandpa Leon had a large family (of 11 children), and journeyed as secretary to Alexander Smith in the RLDS church before eventually joining the Church of Christ (TL) and becoming an Apostle. His descendants have been blessed with a rich spiritual heritage and many true family accounts of  what can only be called miracles. If you read these letters and are interested in reading more of the Gould family history, look for a book titled "Trek of Faith" by Peggy Tucker. These letters contain the original spelling mistakes and have not been corrected. Feel free to print and keep these letters in your own family history files if you so wish. In the future, a book of Leon's writings will be made available. Enjoy!    
                                                                                                                                                 Bemidji, Minn.


Jan. 4, 1900

Dear Alice:-
Your letter was received tonight. So much crowds in on my mind to say that I don’t know just what to say. I expect I will say just the wrong thing at the wrong time, as I usually do. I have a letter that I received last night that did me good. I want you to read it some day. I have waited, a long time, though with a good deal of complaining, for just the words you wrote, and have never quite given up hope. 
Alice your letter made me very happy. I have not changed my mind; I love you more and more. I tried two or three times to break off as I thought there was, from your talk, very little show of your ever careing for me; but always ended the struggle by thinking more of you and feeling more disappointment; and praying for your love if it were God’s will. Your words seem to me like an answer to prayer. He couldn’t in my estimation pick out a better woman although he could find you a better man, easily.

I want you to be satisfied of the Lord’s will and when you are satisfied I shall be.

I want to see you, Alice. I can’t think of an excuse to stop now, though. I’m afraid I will have to stop, without one before long. Alice forgive me, if I have caused you pain by my actions I’ll be a better boy now.

                                                                       Your’s in Love
                                                                        Leon A. Gould

1 comment:

  1. He finally has some hope! Way to hang in there Grandpa Leon!

    ReplyDelete

I like you too ;)